Friday 1 March 2019

FAT GIRL ON A RUNWAY



Hey my YAMMIES!

YES! that is what I will call you now...firstly, let us  get the formalities out of the way:
YESSS I was gone for a full year to work on myself so I can bring you exciting and fresh things..I have to say that A LOT has happened since I left...LET US START WITH THIS PICTURE;




YES! that is ME! 

It was everything and more! 

So essentially, this started as competition on Instagram and I got worked real hard and luckily got announced the winner and naturally I was super excited but so nervous as well because I was naturally going to get eyes considering that I was the only curvy girl on the runway throughout the AFI Cape Town Fashion Week.

Anyway...on the day, I was asked to come for rehearsals were I got to meet the designers and fit on my dress...I have to say that Khosi Nkosi is BOSS because the dress fitted me like it was made for me and the shocking part is that no measurements were taken! SICK right? 

Anyway what was really interesting later that day was the moment I had to do my make up and hair...
I literally had more than 5 people inquiring who I was...obviously the first perception was that I couldn’t have been one of the models as there wasn’t anyone like me...but knowing me, I said with confidence “I AM A MODEL!” 


This moment literally meant everything to me because it meant I was able to affirm my space in spaces where I am not represented. It also meant that I am destroying the norm and changing the narrative.

In South Africa being a plus size model isn’t as “famous” as it is in places like the United States...the South African market is slowly getting on with the programme and being part of this is really amazing! 

We ran a bit late and it gave me some time to breathe and meet all my friends before the show..
SHOW TIME hit and I was like "ooh my word! This is happening!!!”

I went on with it and took charge! I was the last girl to walk down in my group and boooooy! Did the crowd scream! 

After the show, Khanya Mkangisa and myself were directed by Khosi to go outside for the interview and I was so humbled by the number of journalists who wanted to have a word with me.
I must say; being given the platform and having my voice heard meant a lot to me because I was not alone, I was representing every girl who has never thought of seeing herself on the runway!


"Show Stopper" was my name for the rest of the evening!

THANK YOU KHOSI NKOSI and to everyone who voted for me.

In case you are wondering: YES I got to keep the dress!


Check it all out on my Youtube Channel: RIGHT HERE!



Don't forget to stay tuned on the blog's updates on Facebook by liking the page
Zidle Zithande Zihloniphe

Don't forget to follow Yammie Hearts and Curves on Facebook
Instagram: @oyamabotha 
Twitter: @OyamaBotha
Snapchat: @oyama5

No comments:

Post a Comment